httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: export restrictions & mirroring Apache at NCSA
Date Thu, 18 May 1995 18:42:29 GMT
Unfortunately, "renaming the hooks" is not really credible --- I don't
think *anyone* would buy for a minute that code which grants special
treatment to GET requests with a content body type with the magic value
application/x-www-pgp-request, and which invokes "some external program"
with arguments appropriate for PGP itself and nothing else, is just some
kind of general-purpose compression hook.  (GET requests with that MIME
type are used as the unencrypted "envelopes" for requests in the ad hoc
NCSA PGP/PEM encryption scheme which this code supports --- it's
decrypt_request in http_auth.c, for the curious).

Besides, there *are* already people fighting the good fight on this issue,
and it's not clear to me that the best thing we can do to support them is
to nominate ourselves as another bunch of martyrs.

rst