httpd-dev mailing list archives

From efr...@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Elizabeth Frank)
Subject Re: export restrictions & mirroring Apache at NCSA
Date Thu, 18 May 1995 21:09:02 GMT
On May 18,  1:16pm, Rob Hartill wrote:
} Subject: Re: export restrictions & mirroring Apache at NCSA
 > From owner-new-httpd@hyperreal.com Thu May 18 14:20:43 1995
 > From: Rob Hartill <hartill@ooo.lanl.gov>
 > Subject: Re: export restrictions & mirroring Apache at NCSA
 > To: new-httpd@hyperreal.com
 > Date: Thu, 18 May 95 13:16:55 MDT
 > Sender: owner-new-httpd@hyperreal.com
 >

 > So home come distributing the source is ok ?
 >
 > The source is one giant hook for all kinds of trivial things that
 > the US seems to think the rest of the world can't figure out without
 > their help.

We have to make adding the encryption stuff as difficult as writing
original code.

 > > Does this make me an arms dealer?
 >                          - RobM

Uh, yes I think so. :^)  Or at least the NSA thinks so.

 > shame on you.
 >
 > Hmmm, is it okay for David to continue to allow access to Apache
 > (with hooks) from the UK ?... can we say that hyperreal is mirroring
 > his site so that it comes under "import" regulations instead of
 > export ?  :-)

No.  In fact, if David allows export of the software (with hooks) from
the UK, he is violating UK export restrictions and the UK equivalent
of the NSA could come knocking on his door.  The treaty is an international
agreement and in theory Europe has agreed to control export from their
countries.  Further more the state department considers colaborative
research, making detailed implementation information, or specifications
available to be the same as exporting it.  On top which, our laws are
written in such a way that importing cryptography is legal, but once
inside the country we can not export it even if we got it outside the
US to start with.

 > Looks like the Apache are going to take on the US government again :-)
 >

 > rob

}-- End of excerpt from Rob Hartill

	- Beth Frank
	efrank@ncsa.uiuc.edu