httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: virtual host again
Date Sat, 06 May 1995 14:47:39 GMT
> I'm getting more and more frustrated trying to wedge stuff into
> a large program that was not well architected.  I think
> we need to start pondering building our own framework....
> The more I look at the code, the more I realize that this
> seemed like an experiment in writing a UNIX program, rather than
> something real :(

The original was both, in fact.

> It's funny to see how the same thing is done in
> different ways (ie error_log is a FILE *, and xfer_log is a fd),
> come on...make up your mind :)

That particular discrepancy was created by my patch -- I could not
conveniently fix error_log because it is opened and used by too
many different routines that assume a FILE pointer; in contrast,
xfer_log is only used in http_log.  Yet another demonstration of
why software engineering concepts are important.

> I also love how the traditional
> mode 0666 is not used as the third argument to open.  This
> means the process umask is not payed enough attention to, agh...

On purpose -- 0644 is desired (process umask be damned), and there
is nothing "traditional" about using 0666 as a third argument.
Yeah, sure, the xfer_mode should be a config file parameter,
but I didn't think it was important at the time.

> Building the broken mode into a static variable, was well, kinda
> different...maybe a little learning about C was going on here
> too. :/

A define would have made more sense, yes, but there is no define
in Perl.  I was more concerned with the typing anyway.

> It's late, I'm very tired, and I've just had it with this code.
> You can add honey to shit, but you just get sweet tasting shit.
> No matter what you add to shit, you end up with some form of shit.
> I am not proud of the patches I need to do, but there is no clean
> easy was of integrating the junk.

Well, since nothing you mentioned above was in 1.3, you might as
well just eat shit this time.

......Roy
      600 down, 1150 to go