httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: HTTP/1.1 implementation speeds
Date Fri, 05 May 1995 16:04:10 GMT
   Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 12:50:01 -0700
   From: Rob McCool <robm@netscape.com>

    * Rob, what are you basing this on ? Everyone using 100 browsers
    * instead of 1 in the near future ???

   I was mostly kidding. But I think you're on to something. Ten browsers
   for every finger?

Danny Hillis has a story he tells about a conversation in the hotel
lobby at a computer conference around 1972.  The topic is where the
exponential curve in computer sales is going to top off --- no one's
sure, but there has to be a limit.  After all, quips one of the guys,
what are people going to do with them all --- put a computer in every
doorknob?

Twenty years later.  Same lobby.  Same people.  Same hotel --- but
they've just installed a keycard system with programmable locks.
There is a computer in every doorknob.

    * Maybe Ncom plan to bundle Netscape with each box of corn flakes :-)
    * ... send 3 tokens for Netscape, 4 if you want SSL.
    */

   Now there's an idea. Floppy disks in specially marked boxes of Cap'n
   Crunch.

I though AOL was already using this strategy.

rst