httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Arena bugfix still needed...
Date Fri, 05 May 1995 15:24:13 GMT
   From: Rob Hartill <hartill@ooo.lanl.gov>
   Date: Fri, 5 May 95 13:08:58 MDT

   but introducing a bug (which is what happens when you discard
   valid parameters) to work around someone else's bug, stinks.

Actually, there isn't a single browser on the market which handles
parameters on content types correctly --- they *all* wind up treating
it as an unknown content-type, generally by dumping the file onto
disk.  This is not desirable.

   If the only reason to have this is so that *you* can demonstrate
   content negotiation, then I can't see why *you* can't tweak your
   own copy of Apache to misbehave accordingly. Put it in with
   #ifdefs if you really need it (default = send params)

It isn't just me.  The only reason that ANYONE is interested in
content negotiation these days is for negotiating HTML feature sets,
and if we haven't got a browser that demos that, we might as well dike
out the code.

I don't object to private hacks --- in fact, I've got a few already,
for back compatibility with my old *.doit stuff.  But I VIOLENTLY
object to this being one of them.

   1.3 allowed parameters AFAIK. Apache should too.

It didn't strip them off --- and if present, they broke every browser
that anyone has.  Why should that continue?

A final point --- I gave this a +1 vote under the impression that you
had in fact checked it with Arena, and that it did in fact worked.
Indeed, your CHANGES file says as much.  Had I known that it broke
Arena, I surely would have vetoed it.

rst