httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: HTTP/1.1 implementation speeds (was Re: votes for 0.6.3)
Date Fri, 05 May 1995 11:29:10 GMT
   Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 23:55:21 -0700
   From: Rob McCool <robm@netscape.com>

   But at this point, the interesting performance work is not going to
   take place at the application level, it's going to take place at the
   protocol level. We've routinely done over three million hits a day on
   one machine with our software, and that's more traffic than just about
   anybody on the Web today is going to get in the near future.

In general, sure... for most purposes, ANY of the recent crop of
servers offers more than adequate performance when run on reasonable
hardware (Netsite, NCSA 1.4... hell, even Apache ;-).  This does make
breast-beating from anyone about raw performance a bit besides the
point.

There is an exception, however, which is sites which do a whole lot of
CGI.  The inherent overhead of the CGI mechanism (particularly if the
scripts themselves are written in something like Perl, or even if they
just link a whole lot of shared libraries) does drag things down.  Of
course, the only cure for that is a good server-internal API... and
Rob M's done some pretty neat things there.  (Anyone who hasn't looked
at the NSAPIs should... Netscape put the reference on the "standards
page", but what you know to look there, it's not hard to find).

rst