httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob McCool <r...@netscape.com>
Subject Re: Porting Apache to Windows NT
Date Mon, 29 May 1995 20:42:49 GMT
/*
 * "Re: Porting Apache to Windows NT" by Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>
 *    written Fri, 26 May 1995 13:39:30 -0700 (PDT)
 *
 * Bob Denny, who did that port and now is the main author behind
 * O'Reilly's "WebSite" NT server, is one smart dude, and I'd start
 * using any of his PD stuff before writing my own.  At the very least
 * I'd talk to him - he was talking something about "I/O completion
 * threads" that made NT incredibly scalable (100 simultaneous threads
 * in a multi-threaded server, very little time spent waiting).
 *
 */

Yeah, the async I/O for NT is pretty slick. Although the benefits you
get from it will mostly be swallowed up by a slow TCP
implementation. We found that an NT box running Netsite, with some
registry tweaks to help the TCP perform, could do roughly a half a
million hits a day without CGI.

As far as a port goes, I used a straight multithread implementation
when I ported Netsite to NT. That is, I created threads much as you
would create processes under UNIX. It was simpler and performs very
well. However, that requires that your code be thread-safe (which
Netsite is; NCSA 1.3 is not). There are ways to easily map most NT I/O
calls to their UNIX counterparts; the biggest pain was remembering to
keep \ and / straight.

--Rob