httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Logging again
Date Sat, 27 May 1995 17:54:56 GMT

I could use some comments regarding the following. (especially related
to the non-forker).

One drawback that I am finding with the FIFO approach is that there
is risk of the logged information being interlaced with other writes
to the FIFO.  I sounds like as long as we are writing less than 512
bytes we are OK (PIPE_BUF on NetBSD), but not something I am personally
comfortable with. Comments?

That brings me to what I think is probably a better solution...
A socketpair.

What happens in the non-forking model if the parent creates a socketpair
to an http_logd process?  Will each child create the same socketpair
to http_logd?

I picture this 'http_logd' reading in log.conf and creating the various
FIFOs for the logcruncher processes.  For each file descriptor that
the 'http_logd' opens to FIFOs, the configuration information would
configure a logging structure for that pipe and start the specified
logcruncher process reading from that FIFO.

Is this an unusable solution for the non-forker?

Comments please