httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: logging
Date Thu, 25 May 1995 11:39:38 GMT

> If we let the user configure the information being logged in the *server*,
> then they have the ability to send it in any order that the logger
> process requires.  By eliminating the "headers", we reduce the
> amount of data in the pipe by at least 1/2.

The headers can be abbreviated so they cost a much smaller fraction
than 1/2.

> As long as the order is documented for the CLF portion, and the
> order for add-on info is
> configurable in the server, it can be up to the logging process to
> deal with it.

> Reducing the amount of data we are logging by 1/2 means we can send
> twice as much!  :-)

Even if it is decided that only a subset of the info needs to
be given to the logging process, it's much better to put each
item on a separate line and name it. It'll make extending the
system a lot easier in the long term, and it'll look more attractive
to other server developers - they can pick a different susbset, but
use the same basic log analyzer.

--
Rob Hartill
http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/