httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: phase II
Date Thu, 25 May 1995 02:07:41 GMT
> On Wed, 17 May 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > a new logging system ?
> >   still in the design stage.
>
> Right.  I propose, now that we see that having apache pipe information to a
> script is actually feasible, that we simply decide on a Very Large Common Log
> File Format, Part Deux that is designed to only be written as STDIN on
> another program (or sent as a char * to the logfile processing procedure). Is
> just a format enough, or do we need something with explicitely typed data
> like CGI?  I.e., if we just define the following
>
> (current CLF) referrer user-agent real-object errstring
>
> and then pipe it to some really good logging program that we write and
> distribute with Apache, how likely a contender could that be for CLF2?

This sounds good.  My suggestion would be to write the CLF (modified as
I proposed in an earlier mail) and then allow the add-on fields to be
chosen in the config.  (More config file bloat...)

On the topic of config files, I agree that there needs to be an inteface
to the configs developed.  I'm on a perl high right now.... I could see
a perl program using the Tk extensions for this.... :-)