httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@isl.cf.ac.uk>
Subject Re: export restrictions & mirroring Apache at NCSA
Date Fri, 19 May 1995 14:44:11 GMT
> I have heard something about this before, but I forget the context.  It
> was also a situation where source code was being passed around that
> implemented absolutely no crypto, but had the potential for plugging in
> crypto, and that was deemed a bad thing.  What next, banning the
> distribution of Elm?

Something like this happened with kerberos. Just leaving out the
encryption code wasn't enough. They had to write ebones.

What FreeBSD does is have site in S. Africa which "independantly"
writes the non-exportable code.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.isl.cf.ac.uk/