httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: export restrictions & mirroring Apache at NCSA
Date Thu, 18 May 1995 15:59:32 GMT

>  > > > Me (Beth Frank)
>  > >   Rob Hartill
>  >     Brian Behlendorf

not any more :-)

> As far as the state department is concerned the hooks are suffcient
> to make the software fall under the restrictions.

all that does is give them something to do all day.

> Is it really worth the agrevation?

sure. They're policy is rediculous.. the sooner someone stands up
and says so, the better. If we find ways to make enforcing the policy
impossible (e.g. by saying it's European), then they'll have to
rethink their policy.

> By their (NSA's) rules, general interfaces (like CCI) not intended for sole
> use with encryption doesn't fall under restrictions.  The hooks in the NCSA
> httpd are intended soley for use with restricted encryption code and are

isn't there a non-US version of PGP out there, which would work
just as well with the hooks ? if so, they have no right to tell us/NCSA
that PGP hooks are a bad thing.

> Well SHTTP (unless implemented with 40 bit encryption) will be under
> export restriction as well.

...and we should have hooks for that too.

rob