httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob McCool <r...@netscape.com>
Subject Re: export restrictions & mirroring Apache at NCSA
Date Thu, 18 May 1995 17:43:53 GMT
/*
 * "Re: export restrictions & mirroring Apache at NCSA" by Rob Hartill
 *    written Thu, 18 May 95 11:39:29 MDT
 *
 * Pfffft. Sounds like they've gone overboard on that. The hooks don't
 * do any encryption/decryption so what's there problem ?

It's enough just to have the hooks in there, e.g. if it was to have
hooks that could be used to plug BSAFE into it, then that would be a
problem.

At the time, I did a little (not much) checking into it, and there
were other programs like MUAs that had hooks for calling PEM or PGP as
external programs, so I thought it was okay. Guess they changed their
mind. Does this make me an arms dealer?

 * Someone here suggested the hooks be converted into a gerneral
 * purpose "filter hooks"... that'd take care of those morons at the
 * NSA.
 */

Yeah, you could use it for compression or something.

--Rob