httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@hyperreal.com>
Subject Re: The HTTP_TIME_FORMAT is not correct
Date Tue, 16 May 1995 21:58:48 GMT

> According to my reading of the various HTTP documents, the time
> format produced by apache is incorrect.

According Roy Fielding - the author of the HTTP spec, the format is
correct... Roy gave us the format string.

> The format is easily
> fixed by changing the following
> in httpd.h:
>
> #define HTTP_TIME_FORMAT "%A, %d %b %Y %T GMT"

This would make it wrong.

> the only difference is that the initial %a is changed to %A to
> produce the full
> weekday name.  I compared the output of Netsite, Plexus, NCSA httpd 1.4, and
> they all use this format.  Also, the documentation at
>
> http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/Protocols/HTTP/Object_Headers.html#date
>
> indicates that the full weekday name be used.

That document refers to RFC 850 which the latest spec
recommends be dropped.

Apache uses RFC 1123 (which all clients should already accept), and
which all servers are now recommended to use.

> Vivek Khera, Ph.D.                        Khera Communications, Inc.
> Internet: khera@kciLink.com               Rockville, MD       +1-301-309-0969
> PGP/RIPEM/MIME spoken here                http://www.kciLink.com/home/khera/

regards,
rob