httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: Log file and databases
Date Wed, 10 May 1995 14:31:59 GMT

> Hmm... I guess I'm having trouble figuring out why you want to use a DBM
> file then, as all the DBM file you're creating will be good for is
> looking up accesses on a particular second.

One thing you can do with a perl log writer is
maintain up to date statistics e.g.

$URL_COUNT{$current_url}++
$HOST_COUNT{$current_host}++
$HOUR_COUNT{$current_hour}++
$DAY_COUNT{$current_date}++

For many people, it's these counts which are the only
thing of interest that come out of a logfile. Most of us probably
do some statistical analysis like this on a nightly/weekly basis.
Having the data available in real-time would be nice.

You can also abbreviate the logifile by assigning keys to each unique
URL and client addresss - this makes the log much smaller. A simple
filter expands the abbreviated log to CLF or whatever you prefer. I
did this kind of log abbreviation for a while in order to reduce the
size of old logfiles.

--
Rob Hartill
http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/