httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <>
Subject Re: Log file and databases
Date Wed, 10 May 1995 12:33:59 GMT
>    Date: Tue, 09 May 1995 19:47:53 -0500
>    From: Randy Terbush <>
>    The mailing list archive for the modules I mentioned is at:
>    I can't clarify that nexor archive location at this time.
> OK... I looked over the messages in that archive related to the
> "Mini-server", and it looked like it was oriented more towards
> management of connection state than at logging per se.
> Randy, since you're following this particular discussion more closely
> than I am, do you know much about how it relates to some of the other
> approaches to connection state that are floating around (Netscape
> "cookies", server-side java applets implementing private protocols,
> etc.)?

Can't really comment.  I have been reading some of Brian's comments
regarding this and just stumbled upon the Mini-server.  My first
thought was that it could be used for logging instead of the other
separate logging process that has been mentioned. LOT's of logging
processes!  NOT!  It does appear that this site (
has some sort of stateful connection setup.  There are some
interesting things being discussed in the above mentioned group.

I'm at the point of figuring out how to use some of the tools
and figure out what some people are doing with them.

As for the logging question, I have a perl client listening on
the named pipe approach.  The more I play with this, the more
I like it.  This outside process could handle all of the splitting
into various logfiles, reporting to databases, etc..  From
the simplest approach, we can change the logging in Apache
all we want.  The module can massage it back into CLF if that's
what people want.

This has lot's of possibilities.  Warning: This is my learning Perl
project. It may take a bit before I am ready to show this.  As
a "concept" example, I will have a module that writes CLF to dbm
format in the next couple of days. (err, family visit this weekend...)
Make that next week.

View raw message