httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brandon Long <bl...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: Apache env. var. suggestion
Date Tue, 09 May 1995 00:01:11 GMT
Last time, Brian Behlendorf uttered the following other thing:

> On Mon, 8 May 1995, Robert S. Thau wrote:
> >    My suggestion is to combine these to features into a new directive for
> >    httpd.conf;
> >    ImportEnv <variable-name>
> > Hmmm... ImportEnv is probably more convenient for things like TZ, but
> > the EIT-extended SetEnv directive is probably better for most uses (in
> > particular, for script config vars) --- it lets you put both variable
> > and value in the config files, rather than having to name the variable
> > in the config files, and set the value in (I guess) a shell script
> > which starts up the server with a customized environment.
>
> Right.  I'd vote for both, config file inflation be damned :)

Sounds good to me.  I've had enough problems with TZ to add them both
to 1.5 (the SetEnv and ImportEnv that is)

BTW, httpd 1.4 does attempt to pass TZ.  It just seems that most of the
environment variables don't last until CGI scripts are exec'd.  I don't
know why this is.  I know some systems (like SCO) seems to remove them
after the detach() (hence the CALL_TZSET define in 1.4)

Brandon
--
 Brandon Long   (N9WUC)     "I think, therefore, I am confused." -- RAW
 Computer Engineering   	Run Linux 1.1.xxx	It's that Easy.