httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: Arena bugfix still needed...
Date Fri, 05 May 1995 13:42:41 GMT

> Actually, there isn't a single browser on the market which handles
> parameters on content types correctly --- they *all* wind up treating
> it as an unknown content-type, generally by dumping the file onto
> disk.  This is not desirable.

Netscape just worked ok with "Content-type: text/html;version=3"
It may have guessed, but it did treat it as HTML

>    1.3 allowed parameters AFAIK. Apache should too.
>
> It didn't strip them off --- and if present, they broke every browser
> that anyone has.  Why should that continue?

So as to encourage browser developers to fix their browsers ?
To allow people to use paramters to test clients ?

> A final point --- I gave this a +1 vote under the impression that you
> had in fact checked it with Arena,

I had, and it appeared to work. Not sure what I did then, 'cos
I can't repeat it now.

> and that it did in fact worked.
> Indeed, your CHANGES file says as much.  Had I known that it broke
> Arena, I surely would have vetoed it.

Isn't there a way you can send back parameter-free responses ? (I don't know)

Anyway, I'll wait for someone else to comment and then go with the flow.

robh