httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob McCool <r...@netscape.com>
Subject Re: HTTP/1.1 implementation speeds (was Re: votes for 0.6.3)
Date Fri, 05 May 1995 08:19:41 GMT
/*
 * "Re: HTTP/1.1 implementation speeds (was Re: votes for 0.6.3)" by Brian
 *    written Fri, 5 May 1995 01:08:56 -0700 (PDT)
 *
 * Ah, okay, by your earlier message I thought you were saying the
 * opposite (isn't HTTP at the "application layer"? hmmm)

Network wise, yes... what I meant was application == HTTP server code
instead of kernel.

 * But bandwidth will still be a killer - which is why I've turned
 * into a proxy cop on www-talk recently :) When we move from the 5
 * million browsers mark to the 500 million browsers mark (15 years?),
 * proxies are going to be the only thing that holds this whole thing
 * together.
 */

15 years? Nah, give it another six months.

I'd also agree about the importance of caching proxies and
bandwidth. For people that are setting up servers, most of the time
the question isn't how fast should my machine be, it's how large
should my network pipe be?

--Rob