httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob McCool <r...@netscape.com>
Subject Re: HTTP/1.1 implementation speeds (was Re: votes for 0.6.3)
Date Fri, 05 May 1995 07:29:50 GMT
/*
 * "Re: HTTP/1.1 implementation speeds (was Re: votes for 0.6.3)" by Brian B
 *    written Fri, 5 May 1995 00:18:48 -0700 (PDT)
 *
 * Is the problem the TCP/IP protocol or the broken implementations
 * out there?  How much will IPNG help, you think?

The problem lies not with TCP or IP, but with HTTP. That's why I think
the work being done on HTTP/1.1 and HTTP-NG are the most
interesting. It's work that has needed to be done for a very long
time. To answer your earlier question about how soon new protocol
developments are going to be deployed, we are working on the ones that
exist, and we will be working on the up and coming ones in our
browsers and servers.

 * 3 million hits... Yahoo is at the 2 million/day mark now, and AOL
 * has just launched its web access now (we're getting *tons* of hits
 * from *.proxy.aol.com, even in the middle of the night!)
 */

Yup. We're also finding that under real-world conditions, most TCP
implementations just can't keep up with more than 100 new connections
per second. In a lab, they can. But in a lab, you don't have high
retransmission rates, slow clients, or anything else that makes HTTP
difficult for the kernels to keep up with.

In this regard, both a new protocols as well as new cluster
managements techniques to help site managers automatically handle
having more than one server machine will help popular sites as Web
availability (and thus traffic) grows.

--Rob