httpd-dev mailing list archives

From cli...@organic.com (Cliff Skolnick)
Subject Re: multi home
Date Mon, 01 May 1995 22:04:42 GMT
On May 1,  8:54am, Rob Hartill wrote:
} Subject: multi home
}
} Are there any plans for HTTP/1.1  to send the hostname that
} the client thinks it is talking to, via a HTTP header ?
}
} e.g
}
} Server-name: www.apache.org
}
} This'll obsolete the virtual host stuff we have, and make it
} easy for servers to offer virtual host support without the
} need for multiple IP addresses. We'd only need to add an
} aliasing feature based on hostname and URL, e.g

And this will be a very good thing...it's an ugly hack now.
The correct place to address this is in the protocols.  As
I understand it (info from Brian) 1.1 will fit this bill.  Now
there are other implimentation issues we will need to address
such as are server aliases host specific?  heh...only the begining ;)

}
} HostAlias www.apache.org/  /export/apache/
} HostAlias www.apache.org/foo  /wherever/foo
} HostAlias www.hyperreal.com/ /wherever/
}
}
} -=-=
}
} Where can I find more info on HTTP/1.1 ?
}
}
}
} robh