httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ap...@fy.chalmers.se (Andy Polyakov)
Subject Re: httpd patches
Date Mon, 03 Apr 1995 21:06:27 GMT
Hello, guys!
>Apache is a new httpd server, based on NCSA httpd 1.3. It is being
>developed by non-NCSA folk who primarily run very busy httpd 1.3
>servers and/or who want to make httpd do what they want it to.
>Apache will be a public domain server.
What do NSCA people think of it? If there're any left? Looks like most of
them just moved to Netscape. Well, just wondering...

>We seem to share some common goals regarding httpd development, so
>we'd like to invite you to join us. There's a mailing list
>  new-htttpd@hyperreal.com
>which is very active - expect dozens of mail messages a day.
Wow! I don't think I'll be able to anticipate that actively, though hope
can contribute some little penny...

>See http://www.hyperreal.com/httpd/arch/  for an archive of
>the mail.
>>It lookst to me like we already have patches for all of the problems he
>>points out except the first.  (Note that his solution there isn't complete;
>>/~foo URLs still will check for /home/.htaccess-type files on the way down
>>to the user's home directory,
NO, IT WON'T! At least not with NCSA 1.3: for cycle takes care of that.
>>which means that not only do they waste time,
>>but access is gratuitously denied if FollowSymLinks is off at that level
>>in the hierarchy).
??? Though note that under Solaris 2.x /home/* aren't symlinks anymore, but
real mount points.