httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: CGI specification (was Re: restructuring the server)
Date Thu, 27 Apr 1995 21:30:00 GMT
>With the Apache and NCSA 1.4 treatment of PATH_INFO, the script *can*
>know the client's URL --- it is guaranteed to be the same as the
>concatenation of SCRIPT_URI and PATH_INFO.  In fact, I'd prefer to see
>this used as the definition of PATH_INFO in your document.  (The
>language you have now is awfully non-committal).

Except I'm trying to write a standard, instead of a description of
what apache does. I suppose a 'conformant' CGI script is allowed
to look at SERVER_SOFTWARE and make extra assumptions based on that.

And yes, I'd rather be less non-committal, but that's the way
things are.

>(The only deviation from this invariant with NCSA 1.3, and possibly
>CERN, is in the case where PATH_INFO consists entirely of '/'
>characters, and as everyone will remember from the flame wars we had
>about *that*, I regard that deviation as a bug).

I've put warnings in about that case, recommending that scripts
not try and cope with it.

 David.