httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: 0.6.3
Date Tue, 25 Apr 1995 13:16:00 GMT
Randy Terbush wrote:
>> No it won't... I vetoed O58 8-(
>
>As I remember, we had enough votes before your veto.

Doesn't matter...

>Also as I remember...
>
>You did not like it because it required you to type 'make arch'
>and that you could not override the CFLAGS/LFLAGS/CC defines.

Your statement is true, but misleading; that is not why I vetoed the
patch. I vetoed it because
 * It didn't support Solaris
 * It didn't allow incremental re-compilation; it recompiled every
   source file every time I ran make.

>The later has be corrected.  As I mentioned in earlier mail,
>I wanted the Makefile to provide the ability to compile for
>multi-architectures in an NFS separating the binaries into
>their respective directories.

Nothing wrong with that. However, I was commenting that I would
prefer
% make
_not_ to print out a list of supported architectures, and then _require_
you to type
% make arch

I would suggest that it might be better for the default make target
to compile in the source directory using compilation and link flags
set by the user in the Makefile. But that is only my preference.

 David.