httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@dsndata.com>
Subject Re: New Makefile
Date Tue, 18 Apr 1995 19:45:34 GMT

>    Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 09:45:46 -0500
>    From: Randy Terbush <randy@dsndata.com>
>
>    I just upped O58_makefile to patches/for_Apache_0.6.1.
>    It is a drop in replacement for the current Makefile.
>    I have tested this on SunOS, NetBSD, and BSDI.
>    Please forward change comments so that we could quickly
>    buff this out.
>
> Hmmm... this one looks better.  My major gripe with it is that
> settings for CC, CFLAGS, LFLAGS and EXTRA_LIBS are buried in the
> target-specific make rules; there really ought to be a way for users
> to configure those easily, in case they want to, say, use acc or lcc,
> compile with -g (I sure do), or *not* link with -lresolv on Sun4.
> (Some sites don't run DNS, so -lresolv won't work, and it's not the
> default with either 1.3 or 1.4).

I have made changes to allow globally overriding these variables
with 'make httpd'.  Simply typeing 'make' explains(briefly) how to do
this.

The new version is in for_Apache_0.6.1

> ################################################################
> #
> # Per-system Configuration -- you should at least glance at the values
> # for your OS, to be sure that our defaults fit your configuration.
> # We've listed some common alternatives...

I am attempting to consolodate the required changes to a small section
of the Makefile.  This model makes that difficult.  These items my
be more appropriate in an INSTALL/TWEAKS file?

I have made changes to return the variables for the SunOS compile
to more sane defaults.  All others are taken straight from the
old Makefile.

> Also, regarding server options, I'd rather have XBITHACK configured
> off by default --- turning it on can cause trouble at sites which
> haven't been using it.  Again, this is a potential compatibility
> issue.

Done.

> Finally, cleaning up the $(ARCHOBJS) business would be nice.
> This syntax works in both SunOS and GNU make (to build ARCHOBJS from
> the OBJS list):
>
>   ARCHOBJS = $(OBJS:%=$(ARCH)/%)
>
> Are there any reasonable systems on which it will fail?

This does not work with the BSDI 1.1 supplied make.

>    * There currently is no place to configure HUGE_STRING_LEN.
>      Adding this requires a simple change to httpd.h.  I am
>      interested in knowing how many people would like to see
>      this configuration option in the Makefile.
>
> Adding a -DFOO option, along the lines of -DINSECURE_SMALL_STRINGS,
> might handle this case adequately...

I have added -DINSECURE_SMALL_STR and appended a patch to httpd.h
to make this work.