httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: 0.5 distribution --- problems with B57.
Date Sun, 09 Apr 1995 12:17:00 GMT
> > > Backing out of B57 cures all of the above, and I've now put 0.5, as
> > > de-amended, up on www.ai port 80.  Just thought other people would
> > > like to know.  (I think we need to either fix this right or back it
> > > out --- the old behavior was indeed subtly buggy, but given the choice
> > > between those bugs and these bugs, the former are, IMHO, easier to
> > > live with).
> >
> > Oh bum. I've upped a patch which reverses B57.
> >
> > back where we started.
>
> I've upped an alternative fix. This new one makes the translate()
> function remember which alias it used, later the unmunge() uses that
> remembered value instead of cycling through all the aliases.
>
> robh

Having seen all these messages about B57 etc., here are my votes
B57: -1   in fact, -1 on _any_ change to unmunge_name().

Can you please please rebuild 0.5 without B57?

Attempting to get unmunge_name() fixed is just the wrong way of doing things.
Its the IBM way; a complicated thing doesn't work, so try to introduce
an even more complicated solution, instead of starting again. (example: MVS/XA)
I'm not convinced that your latest patch will work; translate_name() could
be called several times with different ~users values by http_include.c.
The best solution is to try to remove unmunge_name() in the long term, and
in the short term to live with its bugs. Attempting to fix them is simply
a waste of time.

+1 to everything else you've currently got in 0.5.

I need to fix B59 and B60, and -1 on E55 and O58.

 David.