httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: Harvest cache now available as an ``httpd accelerator'' (fwd)
Date Wed, 05 Apr 1995 12:28:00 GMT
>The Harvest "httpd accelerator" is a specially configured Harvest object
>cache that intercepts incoming HTTP requests, quickly returning those
>requests that have already been cached.

Amazing. Only yesterday evening I was thinking how it would be possible to
write a proxy server with O(10ms) response time for memory-cached resources.
I'd got as far as wondering about a proxy server that knew about content
negotiation; if it couldn't contact the server to fetch the jpeg you really
wanted, it would send you the gif it had cached.

I hadn't quite thought of using such a server as an accelerator for a
standard httpd, though the idea is interesting.

Could we do the same thing in apache? Have a cache of URL -> file mappings?

 David.