httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: authentication of included documents
Date Tue, 04 Apr 1995 18:30:00 GMT
> What is a realm?  did I miss a patch update or something?
A realm is an area of a server subject to authentication; the realm is
identified by the AuthName you put in the .htaccess file.
The server sends the AuthName to the client, and the client returns the
username and password appropriate for that realm. (And the client also
caches this for subsequent accesses.)

> If you really these uid/pwd pairs to represent different people then you
> must use a different .htpasswd file and you must also ensure that the
> uid/pwd's are unique.

I don't believe so. It is to avoid this problem that you have to choose
an AuthName for your realm. Otherwise you couldn't have completely seperate
secure areas of a single server managed by different users.

 David.