httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Spero <...@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Subject Re: multiple requests per connection (Roy ?)
Date Mon, 24 Apr 1995 20:11:40 GMT
On Mon, 24 Apr 1995, Robert S. Thau wrote:

> Allowing the server to drop the connection, at its option, after any
> request would probably suit our purposes better.  (In particular, it
> would allow us to, say, drop the line after transferring requests

Keeping a cache of open connections is far better than sticking in some
arbitrary limit on the number of requests per connection. All we need to
find out is how many connections we will need to cache-that is, we need
to find out how many different hosts will be trying to talk to us.
Fortunately, we already know this... we need the same cache size as we do
for hostname caching. In previous messages we've determined that 200 is a
very safe number.   This number of open but idle connections is child's
play for any 20th century computer.

The server and client should be free to drop connections as and when they
see fit; the only real constraint is that they should tell the other
party and make it easy to resume.

Simon // This Message Composed By Voice