httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Spero <...@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Subject Re: Multi-homed
Date Sat, 01 Apr 1995 19:53:06 GMT
On Sat, 1 Apr 1995, Randy Terbush wrote:

> The other implementation I have seen sets a CGI environment
> variable to SERVER_ROOT which requires an index.cgi to
> be in the toplevel document directory.  Seems like all of those
> execs could add up to a lot of overhead.

Having your homepage be a cgi script might have some deleterious effect
on performance... to be, the obvious way of handling this case would be
to allow the user to specify the local address to bind to in the
configuration file, and start several daemons each listening on a
different port.  That way, all the extra effort takes place upfront

Simon // This Message Composed By Voice