httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@wired.com>
Subject Re: Patch: Logfile extension
Date Wed, 12 Apr 1995 03:45:22 GMT
On Tue, 11 Apr 1995, Achim Jung wrote:
> I just tried out your new apache and it works fine!
> Nevertheless I want to contribute this little patch
> which enables to configure a logfile extension, i.e.
> for each month or day or ...
>
> Example: (What I am using)
> httpd.conf:	TransferLogExt -%y%m%d
>
> This makes a logfile named "access_log-950411", each for one day ...
>
> I hope you`ll find it useful and add it to the next release!

I think most of us agreed (which talking about log file functionality and
such) that we could go overboard in putting special log file features
into the server, but we'd never be able to do everything everyone could
want to do, and it could slow down performance - a much better
alternative is to simply use other programs to manage the log file
archiving and such.  For example, the functionality you describe above
could be done using a 4-line perl script thrown into a crontab.  It could
behoove us to include some example scripts like this in the /utils
directory - or maybe a /contrib directory?  Hmm....

	Brian

brian@hotwired.com  brian@hyperreal.com  http://www.hotwired.com/Staff/brian/