httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@wired.com>
Subject Re: E71 Description File Addition
Date Wed, 12 Apr 1995 02:19:58 GMT
On Tue, 11 Apr 1995, David Robinson wrote:
> >I want to separate them from the rest of the stuff in the .htaccess file.
> Actually, I've always thought that the indexing should be as separate as
> possible from the other httpd functions.

This is one of those creeping-featuritis-potential functions, like log
file processing, that as said before are probably better handled by
passing that functionality off to a script.

Here's a proposal:

DirectoryIndexGenerator some_script

DirectoryIndexGenerator would be the program that generates the pretty
HTML directory index.  It's got the full suite of CGI scripts, and gets
information about the directory it's in by whatever the language it's
written in has for obtaining the current working directory (like CGI
scripts do).

By default, httpd uses the built-in generator it has now - however, both
the 4DOS "descript.ion" and ALIWEB mechanisms can use this, and we could
distribute those scripts in the utils/ directory.

Thoughts?

	Brian

brian@hotwired.com  brian@hyperreal.com  http://www.hotwired.com/Staff/brian/