httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@wired.com>
Subject Re: Issues for a beta release...
Date Wed, 12 Apr 1995 01:28:22 GMT
On Tue, 11 Apr 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > The issue I kind of stopped with was "are we going to maintain a mail list"?
> > I can clean the mechanics of things up rather quickly once we make
> > that a final decision.  I think a link to news:c.i.w.p is adequate,
> > but think that the mailing list is something that will need to be
> > done in the future.
>
> Can we just have a bugs@apache.org and suggestions@apache.org, both
> mapped to the same place ? either a private hypernews archive or
> directly to those willing to read and sometimes respond to the mail.

Again, the common-mailbox-on-hyperreal method would work best.  I'll set
it up if I don't hear complaints within the next 24 hours - true, it
would only mean that those with hyperreal accounts can answer that mail,
but if you're serious enough about apache development that this is
something you're willing to do, I'm certainly willing to give you an
account to help out.

As for a public support "mailing list" - I oppose it on the basis of sheer
overload (too many subscribers, lots of bogus traffic), something that would
be much better dealt with in c.i.w.p or through direct mail.  However, as
a compromise I will support setting up a moderated "apache-announcements"
list that apache users can subscribe to, and one of us posts to on a
semi-regular basis to keep people informed of the project and such.
And Randy, I know you offered to host a list like that, but I just have
the feeling it's a lot more work than you want to do (and more load than
you may want to put on one of your machines) to support a fully public
apache-support list.  The traffic will probably be such that I won't read
it - I can barely keep up with new-httpd and still respond
intelligently.  :)

	Brian

brian@hotwired.com  brian@hyperreal.com  http://www.hotwired.com/Staff/brian/