httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@wired.com>
Subject Re: Yet Another Suggestion
Date Mon, 10 Apr 1995 23:20:47 GMT
On Mon, 10 Apr 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> Brian suggests...
> > simply serve people better.  Instead of a redirect perhaps this could be
> > an extra message to give the 404 response, i.e.
> >
> > The URL /foobar.html was not found.  However, <a
> > href="/FooBar.html">/FooBar.html</a> exists, if you meant that.
> >
> > Of course a search for case-insensitive matches could turn up more than
> > one match.
>
> does it need to be in the server ?, it can be done by redirecting
> 404 to a perl script. It'd be a lot easier to do fancy 404 recovery
> in perl than inside Apache - the script could even have a table of
> commonly screwed up URLs. Also, if you find a bad link that the
> owner refuses to fix, you can redirect back to his site.. take that !

I gotta keep reminding myself how powerful this method of custom error
since 404 probably represents a very small percentage of the hits on a
given site anyways.  I rescind my suggestion (though it'd be a cool thing
to include in the distribution if/when it gets written).

	Brian

brian@hotwired.com  brian@hyperreal.com  http://www.hotwired.com/Staff/brian/