httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@wired.com>
Subject Re: sloppy URLs
Date Fri, 07 Apr 1995 22:27:21 GMT

I don't know if this has ever been explicitly agreed upon, but I thought
all of us agreed that apache should try and be a drop-in
replacement for NCSA as much as possible.  No, this doesn't mean that
we shouldn't fix conceptual bugs (or, 'misfeatures') in NCSA's code, but
where the behavior differs enough that people will have to change things
when they install apache, we should make sure it's necessary.

On Fri, 7 Apr 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> Okay so we can have,
>
>   a missing leading  /

clearly a bug.  400 it.

>   a missing trailing /     (for directory indexing)

*not* a bug.  Fix redirects so they don't have :80, but enough people
rely on this, and I'm not convinced it's clearly a "wrong" thing.  For
example, it provides a pretty graceful mechanism for turning a MultiViews
page into a directory when the page gets to big - i.e.

http://host/path/file

can represent file.html or file.html3 when I first create it - then file
gets to big and I'd like to turn it into a subdirectory.  I don't have to
change any URL's, as now httpd will redirect that to

http://host/path/file/

and the index.html beneath that.  I like this, so it's not clear that
missing trailing slashes is a conceptually bad thing to me

>   a superfluous trailing /    e.g. /index.html/

Hmm.  What about when we implement server-side annotations where people
POST comments on arbitrary URL's, and we want to pass along PATH_INFO to
the CGI script that handles it?  Maybe I'm grasping as straws here, so
never mind.  Classify it as "if a regular file access has a trailing
slash where the file before that trailing slash is a file and not a
directory, return a 404".  Or maybe a 400....

	Brian

brian@hotwired.com  brian@hyperreal.com  http://www.hotwired.com/Staff/brian/