httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: The political correctness question...
Date Sun, 23 Apr 1995 02:01:56 GMT
On Sat, 22 Apr 1995, Cliff Skolnick wrote:
> On Apr 22,  9:06pm, Robert S. Thau wrote:
> } Subject: The political correctness question...
> } Since the political correctness question has been raised on www-talk,
> } I was tempted to respond, but tired enough to think better of it 'til
> } I've thought it over.  What does anybody think of this as a response:
> }
> }
> } When we named the Apache server, we were aware this issue might arise.
> } We mean no offense, of course, and if any authorized representative of
> } the Apache Nation asks us to change the name, we certainly will.
>
> How about "the potential that this name might offend the Apache
> Nation arose, and it was concluded that if an authorized representative
> of ...."
>
> I think yours sounds more like, "ya we didn't care at the time, but
> hey what the hell it's ok cause we will change it".  I'd rather see
> "we thought about it, realized we were not qualified to judge, but
> of course all agreed if it was really offensive we would certainly
> stop."

I dunno, I'm much less interested in being conciliatory on this point.
Despite having gone to college in Berkeley for three years and being a
registered democrat, I think there is a lot of bs that goes around in the
name of cultural sensitivity.  I think naming a product "Lee Harvey
Oswald" might be insensitive, or naming a song "Big Blast on a Sunny
Morning in Oklahoma City", but I dunno that the specific complaint even
merits a response.  If it does, I wouldn't be too acerbic, but I wouldn't
explicitely offer to change the name either.  We could say we'd change it
as soon as Ford stops making "Cherokee" trucks and Geffen drops "Siouxsie
and the Banshees".... perhaps a better response would be that Hyperreal
would love to be a home for any pro-Native-American-rights group on the
Internet, and I'd certainly be willing to offer an account or two if it
quells the situation.  Of course, if the Apache Nation asks for
apache.org, and they don't want or can't get apache.gov, then that's
another situation.  But if we change the name to "Ninja", will the Asian
American community complain?

Ugh.  Someone else can do the official response, I'll stay quiet on this
one.  I feel my diplomacy skills slipping again! :)  Remember why we named
it - "A PATCHY SERVER".

	Brian