httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Suggestions from Kevin Hughes...
Date Mon, 24 Apr 1995 09:31:23 GMT
[Getting around to this, finally... ]

   Date: Sat, 22 Apr 1995 17:57:37 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>

   Kevin Hughes sent the following - I invited him to join the list and said
   I'd forward this.  I think the RedirectAll function could be cool if made
   a little more general; I said I was working on a better imagemap script
   (and that eventually that's something we might put into the server code),
   and that I thought his icons were fantastic.

	   Brian

Hmmm... I understand ReDirAll causes a single page (which has to be
located elsewhere) to be served up in response to *any* request.

If so, I've achieved a similar effect at the times I needed it with
trick config files (no UserDir, and no Aliases or ScriptAliases except
for a single "ScriptAlias / /.../cgi-bin/bounce.cgi" --- an advantage
of this is that bounce.cgi then gets the actual URL requested in
PATH_INFO, which allows it to, say, redirect to the corresponding page
on a mirror server).  I *believe* this does in fact trap all
requests.

Of course, even if trick config files do the job here, a separate
config directive might be easier on some people.  (Then again, perhaps
we could just ship a second sample srm.conf set up like this, and add
another page to Rob H.'s "how tos" section of the docs which says how
to use it).

rst