httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: The political correctness question...
Date Sun, 23 Apr 1995 09:23:14 GMT
All right, here's another draft (which has seen a *little* more
work...)...

  [quoted text]... has been consulted.

Well, it's not just us (a "whois apache" finds all sorts of people),
but this is an issue, and it's one we've discussed.  The bottom line
for us was whether, say, the Jewish members of the group would be
deeply offended by another piece of software named, say, Torah,
Israel, Talmud, Mitzvah, or whatever --- and, provided there was
nothing deeply offensive about the way it was presented, we wouldn't.
(What sort of Jewish name is "Thau", you ask?  Let's just say Ellis
Island was a pretty weird place).

Of course, it's entirely possible that the real Apaches are more
sensitive to this sort of thing than we are, and if so, we'll change
it --- but we really would prefer to hear it from the Apaches
themselves.  We really don't mean to offend.

(BTW, there already is a fair amount of native American related
information on the Web --- see Yahoo for a good list of starting
points (yes, they have *everything*) --- but if some worthy Amerind
organization needs a little Web space, and this goes particularly for
the Apache Nation of course, we may be able to help).

rst