httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: More ErrorDocument problems
Date Thu, 20 Apr 1995 08:47:59 GMT
   From: Rob Hartill <hartill@ooo.lanl.gov>
   Date: Wed, 19 Apr 95 19:37:37 MDT

   > maybe we need to go back to what we had - if you hit a problem/error
   > and redirect to X, then you rely on X being configured to push out the
   > right response.

   slight snag..

   how does the redirect pass on the authentication realm info ?

   I think we need a REDIRECT_REASON cgi-variable to make this work,
   and then restrict 401's to redirect only to a URL which can generate
   a sensible HTTP header. i.e. a CGI script.

   It'd be easier to patch the existing setup to remember the realm
   info and forward that for a 401, but that'd mean sticking with the
   existing concept of a 401 being treated as a special case.

Well, the special-case code has to go someplace --- either in the
server itself, or in every 401 handler written by anybody (which
means, in effect, that you can't write a 401 handler without CGI
overhead, and without being a protocol weenie).

Given these two unpleasant choices, my clear preference is to put it
in the server.

rst