httpd-dev mailing list archives

From fal...@iuma.COM (jon r. luini)
Subject Re: Real Audio
Date Wed, 19 Apr 1995 21:46:19 GMT
howdy, excuse me for jumping in, probably without a lot of background
on the project and what might already be built in.  basically, i just
found out about the apache project and am very interested in being involved
with it to whatever degree makes sense and i'm useful. i'd like to do
some beta testing of things and potentially run some new servers on apache
as opposed to the other non-open solutions out there.

anyways, reeling myself back to topic, Andrew Wilson's notes about
RealAudio and MBONE and VRML and basically extensible systems is of
particular interest to me (probably since we're involved in real time audio,
MBONE, and VRML :}).

i think it's a ripe time for being able to include some standard methods
in building some nice extendibility for the future now in something like
apache. i'm not familiar with how involved the apache development crew
is in trying to extend the HTTP spec and how far it's planned to go without
touching the spec. i'm curious whether there are already plans for the
netsite-ish push/pull strategies and communication with passing URL's
and data to open pipes between companion applications. there are people
all over the place doing various extensions based on specific mime-types
as well as moving into non-scalable server-modification solutions and i'd
like to see all of that be able to come under one roof so as to reach the
widest audience being able to benefit from such extensions.

obviously, a lot of this ends up being on the client side, but it seems
to me that if you build a back-side standard, the folks making the browsers
will jump at incorporating new standards (hence my veering off in the previous
paragraph about the HTTP spec).  i'm sure i'm not alone in wanting to avoid
the future of having one company designing all sorts of proprietary
communication methods between their server and their client (sort of reminds
me about the scary aspects of microsoft's future plans).

none of this message is really designed for much in the way of specific
i just wanted to toss a couple things out there and if people are interested
in talking more about it we could do so in a smaller list or later when
it doesn't get in the way of the current traffic.

jon r. luini, iuma kaiser  -  falcon@iuma.com    IUMA Info:  info@iuma.com
|___|______/____|__  /___|__  /      bands/music/labels/images/lawn darts
URL - http://www.iuma.com/                           Phone: (408) 426-4862