httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wilson <and...@www.elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: documentation
Date Mon, 17 Apr 1995 22:37:04 GMT

> I was working through documenting srm.conf and came across
>
> AddType
>
> Is this a leftover from some pre mime.types version.
>
> Does it serve any purpose other than add a type in exactly
> the same way as in mime.type
>

> ?

Well I think the original intent was for there to be one mime.types file
but several different srm.conf files [!].  1.3's docs used to insist that
new mime types got added using AddType and its probable that a lot of sites
chose this convention when they added their own foo/bar extensions.  srm.conf
sez:

# AddType allows you to tweak mime.types without actually editing it, or to
# make certain files to be certain types.

So it look s like it's a feature for hacking on the server with, rather
than a suggestions for managing a stable server.  Anyhoe you'd have to ask
Rob M for a bit more on that.  [COMMA dun't use AddType any more, though
I'm *certain* we used to when we started out.]

Anyhow, if *anyone's* using AddType then it's not safe for us to remove it.

Ay.