httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: indexing suggestion
Date Sun, 16 Apr 1995 18:34:26 GMT
   From: Rob Hartill <hartill@ooo.lanl.gov>
   Date: Sun, 16 Apr 95 12:04:32 MDT

   >    Re PATH_INFO; if /dir/file.ext is a regular (unix) file, then accessing
   >    /dir/file.ext/path_info will fail.
   >
   > Not currently --- the PATH_INFO is simply ignored in this case.  I
   > personally see no compelling reason to change this, although as we all
   > will recall, Rob H. vehemently disagrees.  However, I do think that
   > PATH_INFO should clearly be allowed anywhere that a CGI script might
   > get into the mix.

   I can't follow this discussion, perhaps because I just got out
   of bed,  so I'm lost as to what I vehemently disagreed to here.
   Please remind me.

If I remember right, you were fairly insistent earlier on that
/dir/file.ext/ was "incorrect" and should be bounced with a 404;
current behavior (as I indicated above) is simply to retrieve the file
in this case and ignore the '/' (which is a simple case of the general
/dir/file.ext/path/info).

rst