httpd-dev mailing list archives

From efr...@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Beth Frank)
Subject Re: Issues for a beta release... (NCSA PLEASE READ)
Date Wed, 12 Apr 1995 13:48:19 GMT
 > From owner-new-httpd@hyperreal.com Tue Apr 11 22:50:33 1995
 > Subject: Re: Issues for a beta release... (NCSA PLEASE READ)
 > To: new-httpd@hyperreal.com
 > Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 22:54:10 -0500 (CDT)
 > From: Brandon Long <blong@uiuc.edu>
 >
 > I hope to release the 1.4 (either general beta or for real) next week

Uh, Brandon - it IS in general beta.  The only restriction on who
can pick up a copy of the beta is that they let us know who they are
(ie register).  We don't even check to see if they are lying about
their Email address.

 > As for the next version, I think it will be a security release, with
 > support (hopefully) for digest authentication, maybe kerberos (they're still
 > working out the whole mess of export), maybe some other stuff (there isn't
 > an SSL server library, but that's another can of worms entirely)

I'm fairly sure digest authentication is in, Kerberos support of
authentication is in, Kerberos support of encryption and bulk encryption
depend on legal issues which need to be resolved, SSL support will
only be included if the powers that be force us to...
(As my arm is being twisted... "No, no, no,  SSL is the wrong way
to do it..." :^)

		Elizabeth Frank
		efrank@ncsa.uiuc.edu