httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: YAS
Date Mon, 10 Apr 1995 19:07:03 GMT
   From: Rob Hartill <hartill@ooo.lanl.gov>
   Date: Mon, 10 Apr 95 10:37:48 MDT

   Have httpd parse ALIWEB index files, and return formtted output.

... um... why not just parse the thing once, when it's built, and
serve the output as an ordinary file?

   I've got a perl script which does this, but it might be useful to
   build it into Apache.

There's a tradeoff here --- putting something like this into the
server itself makes it run faster, but at the same time it also
complicates the server code itself.  For, say, imagemap, this may be
worth the tradeoff, but I'm not sure that prettyprinting ALIWEB files
comes up often enough that it can't run as effectively as it needs to
as a script.

(One thing we might want to do about these sorts of "YAS" things that
seem to be coming up is to define a binary interface, along the lines
of Simon's BGI or the NetSite internal APIs, and write these things as
examples of that.  Brian's suggestion for trying a case-insensitive
file match as recovery from a 404 could be done, for instance, by
setting ErrorDocument to the effective URL of such an internaly loaded
module --- perhaps even to a script, if it doesn't come up much).

rst