httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: LICENSE
Date Sat, 08 Apr 1995 15:58:28 GMT
One thing I noticed about it in a brief scan is that it says people can't
charge for the code (traditional in free software licenses), but that they
can distribute the unaltered product at will (also traditional).  It doesn't
say whether people can charge a fee for redistribution --- most free software
licenses allow this (and many useful free software distribution channels,
like GNU CD-Roms and the like, effectively require it to be allowed).

Typical language, from Larry Wall's Artistic license for Perl, is as follows:

5. You may charge a reasonable copying fee for any distribution of this
Package.  You may charge any fee you choose for support of this
Package.  You may not charge a fee for this Package itself.  However,
you may distribute this Package in aggregate with other (possibly
commercial) programs as part of a larger (possibly commercial) software
distribution provided that you do not advertise this Package as a
product of your own.

(I've deleted some sentences at the end having to do with embedding the
Perl interpreter in other products, as they aren't relevant to us).

Otherwise, the Artistic license seems, at first glance, to be more or
less consonant with Rob's draft.

But, aside from the above quibble, Rob's draft is fine with me.

rst