httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: trailing slashes - the haunting
Date Tue, 04 Apr 1995 19:42:09 GMT
   From: Rob Hartill <hartill@ooo.lanl.gov>
   Date: Tue, 4 Apr 95 17:31:42 MDT

   I've got all the latest patches installed, but I see that
   Apache and httpd do the following...

   open your favourite HTML page, but add a trailing slash

   You get back the document you asked for but its content-type
   is the the server's default. Our default is text/plain, so
   you'll see the source instead of the rendered HTML.

I uploaded three patches to hyperreal, one of which is the trailing
slash fix I emailed to Brian earlier (the third one, which seemed to
actually work) --- details on the three of them below.  It also seems
to fix this problem (assuming that the behavior you want is treating
the file as text/html).

(Of course, it'll now turn out that you already tried it...).

   Rob T knows his way around the trailing slash code so well
   now that this should be a doddle for him  :-)

   Not so easy maybe, is fixing it so that relative URLs and
   server-side includes also work.

Server-side includes seem to be working with B48 as well, at least in
my test Apache build.  (The file is correctly processed, and any
scripts that are invoked see PATH_INFO set to "/").  I haven't
actually tried redirects, but I don't see any reason why they
shouldn't work --- they go on prefixes rather than suffixes, anyway.

The three patches I uploaded are:

B48 --- the patch you all saw earlier today, which fixes the /foo.cgi/
        bug (and also the spurious lines in error_log generated by
        auto-indexing of non-MultiViews directories)

E49 --- Multiviews: Do ignore files with no discernable content type,
        rather than assuming the server's DefaultType.  Don't ignore
        files that are IndexIgnored (unless they also lack a
        discernable content-type).

E50 --- Multiviews again --- if you come across 'foo.var' while looking
        for variants of 'foo', use that as the map instead of using
        the internally generated map.

rst