httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Polyakov <ap...@fy.chalmers.se>
Subject Re: httpd patches
Date Tue, 04 Apr 1995 08:01:15 GMT

>    NO, IT WON'T! At least not with NCSA 1.3: for cycle takes care of that.
>
> Hmmm... as I read the code, it will start checking for .htaccess files
> in *subdirectories* of the directory named by the longest initial
> substring which matches some <Directory> directive in access.conf (or
> DocumentRoot --- but that may be redundant).           (Whew!)
??? NCSA httpd 1.3 always(!) starts searching .htaccesses from /. At
least with default access.conf... So as apache_0.4, just checked. What
have you got in access.conf?

> So, if every user home directory is a subdirectory of some other
> directory named in access.conf, then httpd won't waste time walking
> from root to those home directories.  However, if some users have home
> directories elsewhere (and at my site, they do), it will go straight
> down the root, hitting the automounter paths (among others).
Fortunately each ~user reference leaves corresponding alias in 'a' array
in http_alias.c and that's what I use to localize .htaccess search to
users' subtrees: for cycle in tackle_on_docroot goes through aliases
and locates corresponding real path.

Andy.