httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brandon Long <bl...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: fork free
Date Mon, 24 Apr 1995 20:27:48 GMT
Last time, Rob McCool uttered the following other thing:

> /*
>  * "Re: fork free" by Rob Hartill <hartill@ooo.lanl.gov>
>  *    written Sun, 23 Apr 95 15:12:35 MDT
>  *
>  * Brandon mentioned some archie script which would almost always
>  * time-out, if so, that script should be rewritten or discarded as
>  * being unsuitable for a HTTP server - isn't that what archive
>  * servers and cleints are for ?
>  *
>  */
>

> AA - A /bin/sh and awk filter to
> archie. http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/archie.html
>
> It's a wonderful interface, much better than any of the others I'd
> seen before. However, the fact that it's written as a Bourne shell
> script is a huge loss. It's singlehandedly responsible for many of the
> CGI brain death that made its way into 1.2 and 1.3. The bottom line is
> that scripts like that should be Perl, C, or not written.

A great deal of the problem would also be fixed if we made it an nph
script (then it wouldn't hold up a httpd child).  The only reason its
still around is that its useful for testing the server (under bad
cgi conditions )

Brandon

--
 Brandon Long   (N9WUC)     "I think, therefore, I am confused." -- RAW
 Computer Engineering   	Run Linux 1.1.xxx	It's that Easy.