httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: Makefile
Date Sat, 15 Apr 1995 01:04:38 GMT
> > I initially made these changes in hopes that using BSD4_4 would
> > be more portable.  If we follow the model in the httpd.h,
> > #ifdef __FreeBSD__ needs to be there along with all of the
> > other platforms that this has been ported to.
> >
> > The real trick to this all is knowing when to include sys/param.h.
> > I know of no way to do this unless we create configuration
> > scripts to figure it out.  I question if this *small* piece of
> > code needs that complexity *yet*.  I simple 2 liner in httpd.h
> > takes care of it.
>
> Always include <sys/param.h> and then check for the BSD define. The
> only reason I haven't supplied a patch is because I'm not sure
> about non-BSD cases. Actually, I'd question whether any OS is using
> the old style parameter. I can't find a single one which is why I
> think it'll be simpler to reverse the logic rather than end up with
> an ifdef line a mile long for all the OSs that do.

You're correct. Seems like I had encountered cases where there did
not exist sys/param.h on older SYSV systems.  However, I just checked
2 HPsUX systems (8.07 and 9.05) and they are both intact.  If you
have time to rework this, that would be great, otherwise I will
try to get to it over the weekend.

Actually, not sure if this is something we want to break at this
point considering that we probably want to take 0.6 to Beta status.
What do others think?