httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@isl.cf.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Makefile
Date Sat, 15 Apr 1995 00:38:11 GMT
> I initially made these changes in hopes that using BSD4_4 would
> be more portable.  If we follow the model in the httpd.h,
> #ifdef __FreeBSD__ needs to be there along with all of the
> other platforms that this has been ported to.
>
> The real trick to this all is knowing when to include sys/param.h.
> I know of no way to do this unless we create configuration
> scripts to figure it out.  I question if this *small* piece of
> code needs that complexity *yet*.  I simple 2 liner in httpd.h
> takes care of it.

Always include <sys/param.h> and then check for the BSD define. The
only reason I haven't supplied a patch is because I'm not sure
about non-BSD cases. Actually, I'd question whether any OS is using
the old style parameter. I can't find a single one which is why I
think it'll be simpler to reverse the logic rather than end up with
an ifdef line a mile long for all the OSs that do.

I'll ask the CSRG folks when the parameter was changed and what BSD
was defined to at that point. That'll cover all BSD derived systems.

--
  Paul Richards, FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org,  URL: http://isl.cf.ac.uk/~paul/